Friday, December 17, 2010

Christmas All Year Through

This time of year we think about
Christmas carols and Christmas trees,
And gifts and stockings and pumpkin pie,
Mashed potatoes and big turkeys.

We even think of baby Jesus
Lying in the hay,
With angels singing and cattle lowing
On that first Christmas day.

But when the day is done and the tree comes down
When we're full and our new toys break...
Will we remember Jesus
And the sacrifice He did make?

Jesus didn't stay a baby -
He gave His life for you.
And if you'll give your life to Him
He'll stay with you all year through.

I wrote this poem for my kids to read tonight at the Lost River Community Christmas Dinner and Talent Show.  I had looked for a Christmas poem for them to read, and couldn't find one I liked, so I figured I'd write my own!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is awesome Stephanie! :) Let me know how it goes!

Shari

Stephanie said...

It went great, Shari! I forgot to record it, though. I played piano, then flute, and then the kids were up next, so it was all a bit rushed. I was hoping to post their video on here too. Oh well! They are SO cute with their little voices. I think I will get them to read it here tomorrow so I can get it on video. Won't quite be the same, but it will still be a good memory. The only bummer about tonight was that I wasn't feeling really great (stomach flu) so we only stayed long enough to do our stuff, and then went home and missed the rest of the program. (Which is why they thoughtfully put us all in a row at the beginning of the program in the first place...) But I'm glad to have gotten there at all! If it was this morning, there would have been no way I could have done it, but I'm starting to feel much better already, thank God.

gelila said...

Oh my word, this is such an awesome poem. I hope you remember what a talented writer you are, sis.

Stephanie said...

Thanks Gelila! The writing thing has been left in the dust for quite some time, but God has been putting little sparks of inspiration in me again. Pray for direction... and action. Action is the toughest bit for me.