Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Politics and Personal Hypocrisy

Please note: This was inspired by a post I read at http://terrysoapbox.blogspot.com/


I am tired of having to defend my Christianity because of the Republican Party. Republicans are not synonymous with Christians. I do not like people assuming when I say I am a believer that I am “one of those Republican hypocrites”. (Please note: I am not defending the Democratic Party either!)

How was Sarah Palin demonstrating godly love as "the pitbull", the one sent out to sarcastically and personally attack the Democrats? How was she displaying integrity when she was in the middle of "troopergate"? How was she an example of a godly wife and mother by running for VP - probably a very hectic schedule - when she has some kids who really need a mother right now?

I saw an interview with Sarah Palin after she got home to Alaska after this whole thing was over. To me, she looked relieved to be back in the familiar. I think this whole campaign may have been a wake-up call for her. I do not doubt her faith. Everyone makes mistakes... and hers were very much in the spotlight. Imagine if our weaknesses were on CNN every night! Jesus Himself said that "the people of this world are more shrewd in dealing with their own kind than are the people of the light" (Luke 16:8). I think that she tumbled into a situation that was far beyond what she was capable of controlling: Hopefully this was a lesson learned. We should be neither applauding her nor booing her… We should be praying for her.

I could go on about the Republican Party and their so-called "Christian values". One example is embryonic stem cell research. The Republicans talk like Christians in order to get their votes. But if you look at Bush, he okayed embryonic stem cell research just months after coming to power 8 years ago... after adamantly insisting he was against it during his campaign. He didn't care: He was voted in thanks to "The Base" (ie., gullible Christians) and then could keep doing what he pleased as long as "The Base" continued choosing to turn a blind eye. After all, President Bush must be a Christian... He says so and he is a Republican.

During this recent presidential campaign, we listened to many speeches by both candidates. One thing I noticed was that, even when I wasn't in the same room, I could tell who was speaking because of the noise of the crowd. Jimmy would turn on the T.V. and when I heard a negative, rumbling "boooo..... boooo...." I knew it was McCain supporters. He repeatedly had to tell them to stop booing. It was the McCain supporters who spewed personal attacks toward the Democrats, not the other way around. Is this a demonstration of Jesus' love? Aren't we to love our enemies, and bless others? (And are the Democrats even "the enemy"?)

The Bible warns us in Matthew 10:16 to be "shrewd as snakes and innocent as doves". We need to see that the world's system of governing is not God's system. We need to pray earnestly for our leadership... and be very hesitant to endorse any particular political party.

To bring this down to a personal level (for what is the point of just looking at others, without looking inward), I have been asking myself what I am doing that is hypocritical? What do I say, and then not do? When have I been overly negative and critical of others while not meeting my own standards of godly character? Oh.... So many times. I know that there will probably be people who read this who can clearly point out my hypocrisy, harsh judgments, and lack of brotherly love. To those people I ask your forgiveness. So, Lord, please forgive me, and help me represent You to those around me.

3 comments:

Nicole said...

Hi Stephanie. Just wanted to say I echo so many of your thoughts here (I followed your link from Breathing Grace). I actually wrote a letter in response to the Pollitt article, and the web editor at The Nation picked it as an "editor's pick" (kinda neat, huh?). You can read it here if you're interested:

http://etc.usf.edu/clipart/24700/24714/letter_writi_24714_md.gif

Thanks for the fresh perspective.

Blessings,

Nicole

Stephanie said...

Hi Nicole, I just read your article. Well done! I'm glad that your article was chosen, so many people can read your view on things!

Stephanie said...

Please note that it has been brought to my attention that in 2007 President Bush vetoed the used of embryonic stem cell research now that other methods are available. What I was referring to in my post was back in 2001, and I was unaware of the more recent news on the subject.; Forgive me!

The following is where you can read about his veto:
http://articles.latimes.com/2007/jun/21/nation/na-stemcell21