Wednesday, January 18, 2012

See you in heaven, Judah

My baby died a couple of days ago.  It was a boy.  His name was Judah.  We knew our next boy was going to be "Judah" for the last four years.  It stands for going ahead of the battle with a song of praise.  I know that is what God wants me to do now.  I'm not so far, to be honest.  I was almost three months along.  He was so tiny and so perfect.  I picked him up and made a little blankie and wrapped him up.  I held him until the doctor at the hospital took him away.  His hands were this big: O, with perfect fingers.  He had all his fingers and toes, and he was so perfect.  Every time I close my eyes, he is all I can see.  But I don't feel anything, I haven't cried, I haven't felt anything at all.  Well, I cried for a minute when I wrote my Facebook status.  And my eyes filled up today when I found that a little pillow one of my boys had made last month for his unborn sibling had been moved from its place.  I gave my boy a hug and said, "Do you want to save this pillow in case we have another baby?"  He looked at the floor and shook his head no.  I asked "Do you want to keep this pillow as a memory of your little brother?"  He started crying and nodded yes.  So I gave him a big hug, then put the little pillow by his pillow on his bed.  I want to help my boys grieve, and I want to be there for them, but I feel so empty myself.  I still feel like I'm in shock or something.  It happened three days ago.  Today, I have been re-organizing my house, and putting our newly-acquired baby stuff way under the stairs for long-term storage.  I'm going to finish painting our house (which I had to stop when I found out I was pregnant) and I'm going to clean.  I don't know what else to do.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Stephanie, my heart hurts for you and for the loss of your baby. This is one of those things that just can't be understood, right? How God's will could possibly involve a baby's life over before it began. Please continue to cling to the promise you've been given of a hope and a future and that God never will leave us or forsake us. And please know that I will be praying often.
Megan

Anonymous said...

My prayers are for you and your family.
Sonnie

John Rambo's Wife said...

I'm standing with you where you are right now. Tears or no tears, praise or no praise. We're walking through the valley with you.

Anonymous said...

Well, I am crying for you, for your perfect little Judah. How great you were able to hold him and so heartbreaking at the same time. Of course you are still in shock, give yourself time and lots of it... I read this yesterday and immediately thought of you... " I thank God whom I serve, as my forefathers did, with a clear conscience, as night and day I constantly remember you in my prayers. Recalling your tears (or lack of them) I long to see you, so that I may be filled with joy. I have been reminded of your sincere faith, which first lived in your grandmother Lois (Ellen) and in your mother Eunice (Bonnie)and I am now persuaded lives in you also." 2 Tim 1:3-5
Love, Cindy Schindel

Stephanie said...

Thanks everybody. The tears started last night, and to be honest, they were very releasing. I'm doing significantly better today. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers. I know that what the devil meant for evil (as he is the one who seeks to kill and destroy), God will bring about good and restoration and life.