Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Swimming Lessons

I am a homeschooling mom. People homeschool their children for many and various reasons. Some want to provide their children with a rich, natural environment to encourage a love of learning and don't want to stifle their kids' creativity in the rigid structure of the school system. Some parents know about the benefits of one-on-one tutoring and have chosen homeschooling to pursue that method of instruction. Many parents don't agree with much of the public school curriculum and want to teach their children in a faith-based setting. These reasons are very good and all of them were factored into our decision to homeschool. However, my primary reason to homeschool my children is because I am the most over-protective parent I have ever met and am unwilling to let my children out of my sight. When I insist on holding my almost 6 and 7 year old's hands when walking across the street even though they know full-well not to run off into traffic and someone tells me, "You know... You're not still going to be doing that when they're 18", I am quick to retort, "And WHY NOT??"

This over-protective nature of mine was glaring today when I took my children to swimming lessons. I brought some cross-stitching to work on while my kids were learning to swim. However, I did not sew a single stitch... I was too busy clutching the fabric in my hands and wringing it like an old dish rag while ensuring my children were still afloat in the pool. A woman came and sat next to me and attempted to strike up a conversation. She was also a homeschooling mom. I don't think her reason for homeschooling was the same as mine. I could tell because she was able to carry on a coherent conversation despite the fact that her four year old was flailing in the deep end. I couldn't. In fact, at one point I forgot to respond to one of her comments, which I realized when I suddenly and uncomfortably felt her gaze on me. "Oh! I'm sorry", I said, "I couldn't talk because I was watching my kids. Heh, heh, heh." A little later, I couldn't see my five year old. But I stayed calm... Well, sort of. I did not leap over the bleachers, jump the balcony and dive in to save my young one. No. However, without giving it a thought, I did grab the hand of this lady sitting next to me (I would tell you her name, but I don't know it). I did not let go. I hung on like she was a life preserver and desperately gasped for air, as I could only hope my son was doing at that point. "Where's my baby??", I cried in anguish. The lady attempted to pry her hand away from mine and said, "Baby? I thought you had five and six year olds. They are standing with their class next to the life jackets over there." I tried to discreetly remove my hand from hers. "Oh... heh, heh, heh. Thanks..."

Despite this little setback today, I know that God has been working on my heart in this area. He is showing me that clutching my precious children so tightly is not helping them, it is holding them back. He is so much more able to take care of them than I am. His loving arms are the safest place to be, and it is my job as a parent to teach them His ways and point them to the Father who will never leave them but who will empower them to reach their potential. Like a small child who doesn't realize they are damaging a butterfly by holding on to its wings, I can do no good for my kids if I don't release them from my closed fist.

Lord, forgive me for not trusting You. Please continue the good work You have begun in me. I release my children into Your hands, knowing that You intend only good for them, and that you will protect them according to Psalm 91.

Psalm 91
He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress,
my God, in whom I trust."
Surely He will save you from the fowler's snare
and from the deadly pestilence.
He will cover you with His feathers,
and under His wings you will find refuge;
His faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.
You will not fear the terror of night,
nor the arrow that flies by day,
nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness,
nor the plague that destroys at midday.
A thousand may fall at your side,
ten thousand at your right hand,
but it will not come near you.
You will only observe with your eyes
and see the punishment of the wicked.
If you make the Most High your dwelling -
even the Lord, who is my refuge -
then no harm will befall you,
no disaster will come near your tent.
For He will command His angels concerning you
to guard you in all your ways;
they will lift you up in their hands,
so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.
You will tread upon the lion and the cobra;
you will trample the great lion and the serpent.
"Because he love Me," says the Lord, "I will rescue him;
I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.
He will call upon me, and I will answer him;
I will be with him in trouble,
I will deliver him and honour him.
With long life will I satisfy him
and show him My salvation."

9 comments:

Alicia said...

I'm a new visitor to you blog. I totally related to what you had to say. Water and children gives me heartburn. :)
I linked here form a comment on a different blog about public schooling. I liked your comment.
See, I homeschooled for five years and much to my shock at first, the Lord lead us to put all three of our children in public school. I literally gave them over one by one. "okay God, you can have the kindergartner, that's not as threatning." "oh, well, okay you can have the second grader too I suppose, no one says bad words in second grade...do they? You cannot have the 5th grader though....let's look at other options for her okay?"
"Lord, you are leading me to give you all three of my children completely, you are leading me to put them into the public school. I'm very scared Lord. Thank you for reminding me that I can trust you and YOU are the author of their lives.
Let's roll!"

That's kinda how it went down in my head.
Sorry to ramble. I liked your thoughts and understood them.
I hope to post this weekend on how our journey is going so far. I have written much on the whole journey thus far and God's leading us out of homeschool.
Be encouraged, He is faithful to complete!

Stephanie said...

Thanks for your comment Alicia. It's very encouraging! Trusting God with our kids is definitely not an easy thing to do.

And it is a pleasure to meet you!

Alicia said...

Hello again,
Yeah, well, I found your blog through your comment at "Ornaments of Grace" which I came upon when putting in the search words "christian mom's in the public school".
I was very encouraged by some reading there and her link to the book.. I hope to read that.
I responded to your comment over at my blog but I'll say again, I'll look forward to reading your sharing.
I don't know if you did any reading back in our jouryney but it was hard to share at first. I was in shock for a good long week. The testimony started with the post "Alicia it's time to share" On May 27th of this year. Perhaps reading from there will encorage you. God has his direct hand in all of this an he really woke me up to how deeply I had slipped into living by the law. How I was beginning to want more to be the perfect homeschool mom (despite the signs that it was damaging our relationships) more than I wanted to just do what HE wanted us to do. It was a hard, rich, and life changing journey. I am forever grateful for his leading. He DOES know what's best, I just had to unlock one finger at a time and inside, the children I seemed to think I could manage better than he could.
I could go on and on....I won't.
Step on in faith and the peace of the Lord Jesus will overwhelm you. One thing a wise discipler of mine told me, was that God does not lead us only to abandon us. He does not take us out and then say, okay, now that you did what I said, I'm going to screw up your kids! No, he leads and he works. He is faithful to bless when we obey. Even if our obeying him does not look all that spiritual or smart in the eyes of men. His purposes are greater than man's insight.
I'll stop now. :)

Roo said...

that is SO hard stephanie. having kids is like having your heart outside of your body for the rest of your life on this earth.

after i had my first baby, someone at church said to me, "oh -- you must be glad that it's over"
(meaning labor)
i looked him square in the eye and replied, "it's only just begun...."

PS btw i remembered from the past that you liked jason upton -- did you know he's coming to calvary temple at the end of november?

Stephanie said...

Thank you both for your comments.

Jason Upton is coming to Winnipeg? I had no idea! I'll definitely be looking into that.

pedalpower said...

It's so hard isn't it? I know it was a struggle for me to not be over protective...and I didn't always succeed even though my kids were in public school. I have to say you are being so obedient to God sending your kids to school when you hear him tell you to. And I believe you fully that you did hear His voice.

I have a friend who is so overprotective (and her husband too) that her 10 year old is becoming fearful and having trouble making friends and her 8 year old is already starting to be rebellious. I'm so glad you are following God's leading. When I have to step out on faith, I try to remember this: if we are only obedient when it is comfortable for us, what kind of obedience is that? Anyone can do that. With God we can do better.

Stephanie said...

Thanks, Pedalpower! You are right that being overprotective is dangerous, and finding a balance is very important!

Anonymous said...

hey stephanie,
this is such a funny story... i can totally see you having that little chit chat or the lack thereof with the lady...heheh

i am not a mother (yet) so i may not fully understand the concept of being a mother. but having said that, i would say that i can totally relate to the way you feel.. i love my nephews as if they are my own and there is probably nothing that i would not do for them let alone protect them and make sure they're safe. so, the way i would look at it is that instead of looking at your 'over-protectiveness' as a negative thing, turn it around and use it by thanking God that you have a heart like that for your kids and use it to remind you of God's love for you and for your kids. God is 'over protective' of those who belong to HIM. Therefore, next time you feel 'over protective' of your kids, let the moment remind you of God's love for you and for them which in turn will let you be at ease and relax and trust God that He got them in His loving care. i guess what i am saying is that God is always out there to use "all things for the good of those who love HIM, who have been called according to HIS purpose." and that 'all' includes our weaknesses as well. okay i think i should stop b/c i could just go on and on. hehehe... one..two..three.. love you bye.

Stephanie said...

Awwww, thanks Gelila!

That is a good point...

And I'm surprised that we weren't both holding hands with each other when we went to see their swimming lessons!!