Friday, October 31, 2008

Looking Forward

(I originally wrote this in August, 2007, but I wanted to post it today.)

A couple days ago, I was driving down Bishop Grandin (speed limit, 80 km/hour) and suddenly felt the urge to drive only while looking in my rearview mirror. So, I prudently waited until there was no traffic ahead of me, and tried it out. Here is what I discovered:

1) It is very hard to stay on course.

2) It is a highly stressful thing to do.

3) If there had been any obstacles ahead of me, I would have crashed, whereas if I was looking ahead, I could have easily avoided them.

4) If you keep it up without looking ahead for a long time and realize you are going off course, you start to steer the exact opposite way that you are supposed to when you try to get back in the right lane.

5) Without conscious effort, I slowed down considerably.

Do I need to explain the analogy? Naaaahhh. I think we get the point.

Let's keep looking ahead!!

4 comments:

Roo said...

oh man stephanie. i needed to read this tonight.
i remember reading it when you wrote first wrote it.

i've been feeling overwelmed with whats going on with the us elections.

i'll try looking AHEAD and UP. xo

Stephanie said...

Ruth,

I'm glad you mentioned looking UP. I was thinking about how I could fit it into my analogy, but when I was driving down the road, looking up wouldn't have helped me much... So, I just left it alone!

I must admit, I am looking forward to the election being over, however it ends. I was thinking about posting my opinions about it, but I am trying *REALLY HARD* to stay focused on this blog and stay FAR away from controversial topics!!

Roo said...

you are a blessing stephanie!

Amy Ellen said...

Good analogy, a wonderful reminder to everyone. Thannks for sharing your thoughts.
Amy